a destination to stop, shop, eat and stay in the atmosphere of history
dojo bread - Braidwood
there are bread shops and there are bread shops and then there is Dojo Bread
When you take the first whiff of the aroma emanating from the freshly baked bread, you will be drawn to follow the laneway next to the Eureka Pizzeria to bread heaven - bread as you remember or imagine.
Using the finest ingredients and traditional bread making methods, the variety of bread are all made on the premises (and you have to be quick not to miss out!!!)
The bakery is located in one of Braidwood’s oldest buildings. It has been used as a brewery, stables, garage and workers cottage. The bread is made with quality ingredients and careful preparation. All the dough is mixed slowly at low intensity, hand moulded and proved at room temperature; before being baked in a gas fired oven. Every loaf of bread is made with double filtered water, while also having its own special ingredients. For example:
- Wholemeal bread features stone ground organic flour, special culture and olive oil.
- Soft White is made with Bakers Extra flour and also has buttermilk and butter.
- Fruit Bread is sweetened with molasses, malt extract, sugar and honey; a hint of spice and also butter and buttermilk.
- Dark Rye is made from biodynamic rye, ground on the premises, sour culture, caraway seed and roasted, malted barley.
- Crusty White bread is made from dough that is fermented overnight.
- Spelt Bread is made from wholegrain and white spelt flour, an ancient variety of wheat that is popular again.
- Wholemeal Sour Bread is fed on fresh ground wheat, sourdough culture and then made in to dough that rises slowly.
- Also available on special days are Ration, Pumpkin, Beer, Sweet, Rice and Corn and other breads.
Friends of Dojo Bread understand that fresh, handmade loaves take time and so we do not have every type of bread available all the time.
Store your bread in its paper bag or grab a plastic one if you want to freeze it (you should slice the bread before you freeze it so you can easily grab a couple of slices, as you need them).
Trading Hours: 6 days 8.00 am to 1 pm, closed Sundays
during winter; a selection of bread is also available at the IGA supermarket.